The Alternative Energy Systems Laboratory at the National University of Singapore is seeking a highly motivated candidate to join as a Research Associate who would assist in the development and management of a prototype line specifically for Na cell fabrication. -ion.
Several concepts and materials have been introduced and verified in Li-ion cells and Na-ion cells at commercial cell level at NUS, Singapore, using the existing kilo-scale laboratory and prototype line. One of the main activities at this stage is to accelerate the production of prototype-scale cells for rapid technology transfer to the commercialization phase. The existing prototype line facility will be used to increase cell size, optimize suspension preparation, coating and production technologies for an efficient, resource-efficient, reliable and reproducible production process for Na-ion cells .
The recruited research associate will assist in the production of Na-ion cells using the existing prototype line at NUS. In addition, the candidate will work closely with associate team members throughout the life cycle of cell production processes. The goal is to optimize cell design, manufacturing processes, quality control and safety assurance before mass production of Na-ion cells.
- Management of a prototype line at NUS and the development of processes for the manufacture of commercial type Na-ion cells (18650, 21700 cells and bags).
- Optimization of manufacturing and testing conditions to ensure that the cells produced meet the highest safety standards.
- Find, evaluate and develop new advanced battery cell technologies for use in our Na-ion cells.
- Responsible for (i) developing a conceptual process for a pre-production line (ii) setting up manufacturing/testing infrastructure and equipment (ii) identifying and training relevant team members for manufacturing processing, cell production and testing (iii) estimate schedule and budget.
- Visit to third parties to manufacture large format cells (10-20Ah) using the optimized processes established at NUS.
- BE/ME/MS (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering) BSc/MSc (Physical Sciences) or equivalent.
- Over five years of experience as a process engineer in 18650, 21700 cell and pouch production and test condition optimization (with capability of full process development, troubleshooting, security and flow optimization protocols, etc.).
- Ability to identify critical processes/manufacturing parameters and apply engineering to process measurement and control.
- Demonstrated experience in manufacturability, process design, process validation, assembly methods and cost reduction methodologies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Proven excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as an independent researcher and as a member of a diverse research team, collaborating towards goals and developing ideas relevant to cell therapy.
At NUS, the health and safety of our staff and students is one of our top priorities, and the COVID vaccination supports our commitment to keeping our community safe and making NUS as safe and welcoming as possible. . Many of our roles require a significant amount of physical interaction with students/staff/audience members. Even for professional roles that can be performed remotely, there will be instances where on-campus presences will be required.
As per Singapore legal requirements, unvaccinated workers will not be able to work on NUS premises from January 15, 2022. Thus job applicants will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to gain successful employment with NUS .
Site: Kent Ridge Campus
Organization: College of Design and Engineering
Department: Mechanical Engineering
Eligible Employee Referral: No
Job Application ID: 12233