About the position
We have a vacancy for a temporary position of researcher (1108) in the Department of Chemical Engineering. The period is 18 months and starts as soon as possible.
The project will focus on optimization, process evaluation and scale-up of membrane technology for carbon capture. The position is part of a project to work closely with a commercial entity, with the overall goal of taking membrane technology from laboratory scale to industry. A degree of exposure to industrial customers and suppliers of equipment and membranes is to be expected, with associated field work and travel as required.
The project aims to identify the most efficient coating and production process for carbon capture membranes on an industrial scale. NTNU collaborates with an industrial partner, Aqualung Carbon Capture (ACC). The ACC will work on the scale-up, design and deployment of the complete carbon capture system, and the experimental scope achieved by this position will be crucial in supporting work with industry. ACC and the NTNU team will work closely in a feedback loop with membrane manufacturers and industrial customers to understand how best to industrialize the system. ACC was founded in 2021 for the sole purpose of commercializing NTNU membrane technology. The founders and core team have a long history of developing and deploying technology and building assets for shipping, oil and gas, and industrial applications. The successful candidate will work directly with the ACC team, vendors and customers to achieve project objectives.
You will report to researcher Dr Arne Lindbråthen.
- Run lab and field studies with coated hollow fiber membrane modules.
- Develop a simulation model for a large-scale system, taking into account the dynamics of various performance variables with respect to different industrial gas conditions.
- Interface with end users, EPCI companies and equipment suppliers.
Selection criteria required
- The qualification requirement is that you have completed a master’s or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in chemical engineering, chemistry, nanotechnology or equivalent training
- Thanks to knowledge in the field of membrane gas separation
- Solid experience in experimental work
- Experience in scaling up processes
- Good oral and written English language skills
Preferred Selection Criteria
- In-depth knowledge of practical membrane processes for gas separation
- Experience in industrial process engineering
- Good command of the written and spoken Norwegian language
- Drives project objectives and facilitates collaboration across disciplines to achieve desired results
- Actively seeks new perspectives or feedback and quickly changes or initiates new directions based on them
- Establishes relationships between organizations and reporting lines
- Focuses resource energy on activities and tasks that add value
- Offers innovative solutions with the aim of constantly improving processes and results
Salary and conditions
The gross salary for the position of researcher (code 1108) is normally remunerated gross of NOK xxx xxx – xxx xxx before tax per annum, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian civil service pension fund,
The engagement must be carried out in accordance with the regulations in force concerning employees and civil servants of the State and the laws relating to the control of the export of strategic goods, services and technologies. Applicants who, by assessment of the application and attachment, are found to conflict with the criteria of this latter Act will be barred from recruitment at NTNU
The position is externally funded.
It is a prerequisite that you can be present and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documents must be in English.
Please note that applications are only assessed against the information available at the application deadline. You should ensure that your application clearly indicates how your skills and experience meet the criteria set out above.
If for any reason you have interrupted your career or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the amount of your research may be reduced.
The request must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic work – published or unpublished – that you wish to be considered for assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic work that you consider most relevant and would particularly like to see considered in the assessment
- Name and address of three arbitrators
- Research plan
- Details of teaching qualifications based on “Documentation of Candidate’s Teaching Qualifications in Relation to Appointment to Academic Position at NTNU”
- Details of projects you have managed, with information on funding, duration and size
Joint work will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint work, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In evaluating the most qualified candidate, we will emphasize education, experience and personal qualities as well as your motivation for the position.
NTNU is committed to following criteria for research quality assessment in accordance with the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA. This means that we pay particular attention to the quality and professional scope of this work. We also consider experience in research management and participation in research projects. We attach great importance to your scientific work over the past five years.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified applicants to apply, regardless of gender, functional ability or cultural background.
As an employee of NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development of the subject implies and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), your name, age, function and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to be included in the list of candidates.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact researcher Arne Lindbråthen, email [email protected]
If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR Advisor Nina Sandberg, email: [email protected]
Please submit your application and supporting documents via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited for an interview, you must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas. Mark the request with the reference number: xxx.
Application deadline: 11.02.2022
NTNU – knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Chemical Engineering
We take chemistry from laboratory scale to industrial production. This requires a wide range of knowledge, from molecular processes and nanotechnology to building and operating large processing plants. We train graduates for some of the most important industries in Norway. The Department of Chemical Engineering is one of the eight departments of the Faculty of Natural Sciences.
Deadline February 11, 2022
Employer NTNU – Norwegian University of Science and Technology
place of service Gloshaugen, Trondheim